It’s easy to just do the standard box-of-chocolate and card for Valentine’s Day, or maybe a new pair of matching lingerie, but we think Valentine’s Day deserves a little more respect. It is the holiday celebrating love, after all, and who couldn’t use a reminder of that?
Whether you’re showing your love for a partner or for your most precious friends, a little effort can make a big difference. Pinterest is full of ideas for making the day a little more special, whether it’s adding a chic touch of decor or a tasty homemade treat or a DIY trinket that really says “I was thinking of you.”
Here are some of our favorite ideas for spreading the love on February 14th.
1. —especially when they’re Valentine’s Day themed.
3. for a gorgeous twist on cocktails.
4. will make any beauty look festive for V-Day.
6. are one way to get a message to your S.O.
7. Who wouldn’t love to be woken up to ? Breakfast, balloons and a whole lotta love!
8. Create an
9. Use your thumbprint and some paint to create this that can be used as the perfect V-Day decor.
10. may be in the cards if it looks this cute.
11. and write a cute note on it in the morning.
12. Whether it’s for yourself, your SO or your kids, this is easily the on the 14th.
13. together—it’s only two ingredients.
14. What better way to decorate at your party ?
15. to see how romance was really done back in the day.
16. Trying to keep things healthy this holiday? Obviously is the way to go.
18. need to be this cute.
19. For a girls only Valentine’s Day celebration, will be much appreciate.
20. with your valentine’s name on it (or one that says “love sucks” if that’s where your head is.)
21. If you’re celebrating with a group of friends or family,
22. Use some cheesy fruit-based puns,
23. and when you’re feeling spontaneous, randomly pick one.
24. with pink eyeshadow and illuminator.
25. Compile a list of historic events that happened on your anniversary.
26. Get an awesomely cool
27. for your friends.
28. Use these free printable tags to .
29. Another Valentine’s Day idea: . A little cliché, but hey, it’s February 14.
30. Make these
31. Show your girlfriends how much you appreciate them with .
32. Create cute bookmarks for friends or colleagues What’s that, they only use Kindles? Make them anyway!
33. Use scrap paper to create
34. are a cute way to customize your DIY gift.
35. Break out your old Jenga set. Use a pen or thin marker to
36. These to a friend or to yourself (to enjoy by yourself or with your SO).
37. for every person you want to tell you love (friends included, obviously.)
38. Did you meet your SO on Tinder? .
39. Buy some red food coloring and
40. If all else fails, there’s always
41. ! Because being drunk on Valentine’s Day may need to happen.
44. Not a sweets person?
45. Make a wreath out of balloons that haven’t been blown up yet.
46. this V-Day with “Wifey” and “Hubby” mugs.
47. to create Valentine’s Day Instagram gold.
48. —packaged in pretty spray bottles, it’s a great gift for your the women in your life.
49. Make dipped in pink, red, and purple sugar. Yum!
A version of this article was originally published in January 2017.